Sunday, July 31, 2011

Not a cool mom

In a post-event party of one of my events, one of the guests, seeing I was drinking and partying, told me that, all the while, he thought I was a doting mom and totally wholesome and all. I was surprised to hear that, not upset though. It made me think about the image I portray through our get-togethers and our facebook interaction.

Doting mom I maybe. (That sounded Jedi-ish.) But cool... still working on it.

I am saying I am not yet a cool mom in the sense that I am absolutely strict about a lot of things. My children know already at their young age that there are a lot of things that they are not allowed to do and will cause me to be upset.

I do not allow them to go playing all on their own, eat all the sweets that they want, throw tantrums, insist on what they want, among a whole of other things.

If being cool means being tolerating of wrong doings then maybe it's not for me. Although I dream of being called a cool mom. I think there are other ways to show cool mom-ness other than making boisterous, undisciplined people out of my children.

Growing up in a strict family, I have learned at this age that my family's stringent childrearing has done me well. I want my kids to grow up in the same way. At the same time, I want my children to be comfortable with me and know that they can tell me anything.

So cool mom-ness, we'll get there. But for now, I would rather be just doing the role God meant for me: to raise children with the right moral values.

No comments:

Post a Comment