Thursday, February 3, 2011

Breastfeeding Victories


I am a proud breastfeeding mom.

All my kids were breastfed for at least three months. The duration varied depending on my project after my maternity break. My second child, Maxinne, was breastfed the longest.

If you are pregnant or wish to be pregnant soon, or if you are a dad whose wife is on the way, I strongly recommend breastfeeding your baby or for the dad, encourage your wife to breastfeed.

Breastfeeding helps a woman lose weight faster after giving birth. (For me, that is a big motivation.) With my first child, I think I went back to my pre-pregnancy size in less than two months. Of course, that's with sleep deprivation and some measure of fatigue.

Breastfeeding also ensures that what you feed your child is good for them. Don't need to sterilize, clean bottles, buy formula, which is expensive by the way or stand up to make the baby milk in the wee hours of the morning. (Just plug the baby in, if you know what I mean.)

My breastfeeding experience with my fourth child is totally different though. He just refused to suck! I have to express milk and then feed it to him. I am thankful my milk hasn't waned but it is honestly more tiring than if he just fed directly.

In Manila, some malls have reserved rooms for breastfeeding moms. That is really great! I hope the same is done in other cities.
The decision to breastfeed might not come easy for other mothers. I know of moms who want to breastfeed but they say there's just no milk or not enough milk. Others are just too lazy to breastfeed. Plain and simple.

As what infant formulas say on the can, breastmilk is the best for babies. TOTALLY TRUE!

Here are my few tips to make breastfeeding easier for you.
  • Buy good nursing bras and blouses. I am not a fan of the cover but that will be helpful for you if you are kind of ashamed to breastfeed in semi-public places.
  • Make sure to follow proper breastfeeding positions, the way the baby latches and all.
  • Don't worry about the sores that will come, they will go away.
  • Wash your nipples with water only. Don't use soap so as not to dry up the skin.
  • Drink lots of water and milk. Replace the liquid and shield yourself against calcium deficiency.
  • Express milk if you have to go away for several days.
If it's not enough incentive, my children have not gone through any terrible illness and their resistance to infection is great.

So if you decide to breastfeed, it will be one of the best decisions you will ever make as a mom. Don't think of the inconveniences. The rewards make it all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment